Monday, January 5, 2009

E-mail dated 1/5/09

SUP,

Well thanks to the couple missionaries (the Petersons) I got the news of the victory on Saturday. I almost caused him to have a heart attack I screamed so loud. SWEET!!!!! I'm glad to here that we are the only undefeated team in the nation. BRING ON THE GATORS!!!!!!

New Years was just like any other day in Sierra Leone. I'm sure everyone was out partying at the beach or bars but no loud fireworks or bangin of pots and pans. We did our own little celebration in the apartment. We bought 2 full sized roasted chickens and each companionship feasted. OH yeah, chicken and rice!! We went to bed at the usual 10:30 so nothing to exciting except now I can say I go home next year. The work this week was better as many people started returning from the provinces. We will be having a baptism during the middle of january and all three of the candidates had to be interviewed by mission president this week. Now all we have to do is teach them the commandments ( which takes a while because we split each of the thirteen commandments in preach my gospel into separate lessons so they will understand). Oh mom, the branch I'm serving in is not the Hilldale branch, most people here call it the HILL STATION branch. But you got the HILL right and that is for sure. We should have a really busy week this week. I'm not really sure how the school holiday system works here, but they all got some kind of holiday. This branch is very similar to the Congo Cross Branch in many ways. I love it all the same.

So what happened to my car? It better not be the clutch, because I replaced that once already. Oh well, maybe I'll walk everywhere when I get back home just like I do here.

The Primary Program in Congo Cross? I have no idea, I was not there to witness it. But let me tell you that missionary work is just as spiritual as anything else. Actually its more spiritual because you have to deal with people that don't know the truth but think they do. I'm reminded of Elder Bednar's talk about praying with faith and he said we should not only pray, but we should also have the faith to go and do. President Monson has asked us to pray for missionary work and now we must act. I've learned something about the second coming since I've studied intensly. And that is that the Savior cannot (not will not) come until we have properly prepared his kingdom for him. And he wants us to proclaim the gosple to every nation, kindred, toungue, and people before his coming. I now understand why only God knows when the second coming will be. It will come when we have showed we are ready for it. If we don't do our part it only delays his second coming. Proselyting can be frustrating but the rewards of seeing someone accept the gospel and truly live it are undescribable. Mom, you can be one of the most successful missionaries in the ward. I wish you and Sister Hall luck and for starters I would start studying preach my gospel so you can be able to teach and answer questions.

Well have a great week and PEACE

Elder Degen

PS one more time GO UTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: