Monday, April 6, 2009

E-mail dated 3/30/09

Ey-man,

It sounds like you guys are enjoying in San Diego. I don't think I remember ever going there. Then again I might have been there when I was a small pikin (child, for you non-west africans). The week for me was pretty good. We ended the week with a baptism. Kokuloku Mulbah is the newest member of the Congo Town Branch. He is so awesome. He is a referral from the Branch President and has been coming ever since I've been here. I know he will be a strong member and a great addition to the Branch. We have been having some good lessons as of late.

Now let us all remember that teaching Liberians and Sierra Leoneans is the equivalent of teaching primary children. There is no way we could teach them the whole lesson in one sitting. Principle by principle. Small, Small. We currently have 8 progressing investigators. There names are Annie Brown, Weatta, Cynthia Lincoln, Mator, T-girl, Gracious, Azzie, and Emmanuel. I think I mentioned a couple emails ago (if not then i'm thinking my journal) that on mission I have done many things that I wouldn't think would be missionary work. I have taught lessons where I've been a marraige counselor and a dating doctor, and this week you can add a rehab specialist. I taught a less-active member who has a huge drinking problem. We tried to go and reason with him and get him to stop drinking. That will take a very long time. Every one in Liberia or Seirra Leone has a problem with the Word of Wisdom or the Law of Chastity. I'm pretty good at teaching those boldly.

Today for P-day we went and played the Branch missionaries in Duala. By we I mean all the missionaries in Monrovia played against all the branch missionaries in duala. The full-time missionaries destroyed the branch missionaries 4-1. It was fun. We all enjoyed foo-foo after the game and Sister Wire baked us cake, brownies, and other goodies for us to enjoy. It was a pretty exciting day.

General conference is this weekend? That is news to me. If I get to see it at all it will be at the end of the month. but our branch had its Generator stolen, so if we don't get that replaced we won't be watching anything. I'm sorry if my email seemed a little scattered. I'm really enjoying my time with Elder Seawright and honestly time is flying. I can't remember what happened during the week. We are working very hard and having fun at the same time. I hope you all have a great vacation in San Diego.

Elder Degen

No comments: