Good morning once again and thanks for the update of the family. Well, the most exciting part of my week was the Zone Conference with Elder Dickson of the Seventy. He was just put in as the second counselor of the Area Presidency at the beginning of August. This mission was his first assignment. He is just new to the church in this part of the world but it was very apparent that his experiences in other parts of the world have made him who he is today. The man knows the scriptures very well. I want to be that knowledgable in th scriptures. Maybe one day. Interesting thing about him, is that he only has one arm. He lost his right arm to cancer right before he served his mission to Mexico. He said that losing his arm was the best thing that happened to him and told us that we grow through the hard times. He has a strong testimony about the resurrection and of the Atonement.
The package did not come, maybe in three weeks. Oh well. I still love you.
Interesting thing that I've determinded since I've been in Congo Town. When you think you have no clue what you are doing then you know you are doing it the Lords way. The moment you thinkg you've figured it out the Lord humbles you. I'm still learning what I'm doing out here. Normally we struggle to find serious new investigators. In the past week and a half we've found 5. Funny thing is we weren't even looking. Some of our previous investigators stopped coming at the same time that we gained these five. The Lord is using me to accomplish his work and I have no idea. Thats kind of how following the spirit works. Its not like I'm receiving revelation on every aspect of this work. Often times, I don't even recognize that I was following the spirit until I look back. But I love following the spirit. Its much better that doing it my way.
Now for your questions. Yes we have taxis. We use them almost daily. The bad part is that they shove 1 in the front and 4 in the back. I still cringe when I see a fat person get in with us. The other two Elders in the apartment are assigned to Sinkor branch. The internet cafe that I use costs 100 Liberian Dollars ( about 5000 leones or $1.66) for an hour. We do have a grocery store but it is small. I love you all and I can't remember if I wished Gavin and Josh a happy birthday. If I didn't I did remember them but I forgot to tell you. Sorry.
I love you all and enjoy the cool weather and camping.
Elder Degen
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment