Monday, November 2, 2009

E-mail dated 11/2/09

I would first like to apologize for last weeks silence. But it was for a good cause, just to let you know. Last week monday we had Super P-day and now that I'm in charge of that we only had a one hour gap to go to the cafe. Well, at the cafe the internet was not hooked up so I wrote you a letter and it will be there in a few weeks.

As for this past week. Lets just say we had a lot of fun. Only tuesday we called a Zone Meeting with all the members of our zone and we instructed them on the importance of following the morning schedule. "as your morning schedule goes, so goes your mission" -Elder Golden-. For Halloween we had a busy day planned. In the morning we went out to Kenema for some Baptismal interviews which took away most of our proselyting time for the day. By the time we got back we only had two hours of daylight left and we got right to work. The Lord blessed us with an amazing family in the evening. We had been teaching the father, but on saturday night it was the first time we got the whole family to attend our lesson. Holy blessings from heaven this family is good. The hardest part will be to convince the muslim mother. But the 5 children were really involved in the lesson. I'm excited for this Kinawa family.

After teaching that amazing lesson, we had to go to the other missionary apartment in Bo (new london) and give them the conference discs for sunday. We just happened to dress up like muslims (with my jazz headband- I was a basketball playin' muslim) and go trick-or-treating. Elder Gifford gave me some Gushers and thus saith Elder Degen "it is good". We ended our halloween celebration by carving pumpkins. Man it was so much fun. We put candles inside of them and put them on our compound fense (in the razor wire) for all to see. The whole neighborhood thought we were crazy. (I forgot to add that I ate reeses for breakfast because we ran out of rice). What an amazing Halloween eh?

On sunday we watched the sunday afternoon session of conference. Let me just say that Elder Holland gave the most powerful testimony of the book of mormon ever recorded on earth or in heaven. That man has a testimony and no one on earth can deny it. "I did not sail with the brother of Jared, or listen to King Benjamins angelically delivered sermon, or proselyte with Alma or Amulek, or touch the saviors hands in the land bountiful, or weep with mormon or moroni at the destruction of a civilization. But I know as much as they know that the Book of Mormon is true. When I stand before the judgement bar of God I want the world to know that I know that the Book of Mormon is true!" (not an exact quote) It feels like Elder Holland just hit a 3 pointer for team Jesus and put us back in the lead. Oh man that was sweet. I'm getting the chills just thinking about it.

To finish our Halloween weekend of celebration we made Pizza last night. That right PIZZA. Elder Lamb is an amazing chef and we made Pizza. tasted so good. You don't know how good you've got it over there. I spent 20,000 Le just on the cheese. In total all the indredient cost $10. Best ten dollars I've ever spent. We traveled to Freetown this morning to attend a zone council and I'm sitting in the mission office typing this letter to you. All in all it was a pretty good week. I love you all.

Elder Degen

Pizza(not rice baby!!) is life

PS. Congratulations on the mission call Jason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bing!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: